Depot – Pine River, MN

HeritageGroupNorth-pine-river-mn
Pine River, MN DepotDepot Interior Renovation. Was completed by June 2011 ! ! !

HGN would like to thank the following businesses and individuals for their generous cash, building materials, labor donation in an effort to get this project completed!  THANKS

Bob Coulter
Myrle L. Dabill – Memory of Don Dabill
Chuck & Tina Pelzl
Steve & Katy Botz
Russell & Glenda Edgeton
Steven A Curry
Robert B. Peterson
Hanneken Insurance Services
Paul & Patricia Schroeder
Brookside Comfort Care, Bob & Dawn Cadwell
Mary Ella Galbraith
Spike Wales
Ecker House & Building Movers
Douglas R & Carol A Skanse
Jim & Julie Pittenger Charitable Fund
Jim & Barbara Curry
Paul L Gardiner

Trussworthy Components, Inc.
Backus Lumber & Supply

Pro-Build – Pequot Lakes
Christensen Forest Products
K&K Building Supply
Barn Light Electric Company
Mattson Lumber
Carlson Hardware of Nisswa – carlsn.doitbest.com
Hirshfield’s
Simonson Lumber – Brainerd

Pine River, MN DepotThe reasons to restore and preserve the Historic Pine River Depot are numerous. First and foremost is that it has been, and can continue to be, a highly visible, recognizable and historic Pine River landmark. The original depot building was built in 1895, with various additions and alterations thereafter until about 1913. Since 1913 it has remained essentially unchanged–except for the removal of the canopy over the open-air waiting area that extended off the south end of the building.

A recently completed, $362,000 dollar restoration project has completely restored the depot to it’s 1913 appearance, including the reconstruction of the canopy. This restoration project has preserved an historic 115-year-old building, and helped preserve a significant piece of local history. The railroad, when built in 1894, opened much of north central Minnesota to logging, provided access to and settlement of the area, and accounted for the development of many area communities such as Nisswa, Pequot Lakes, Jenkins, Pine River, Backus, and Hackensack. Minnesota’s State Historic Preservation Office validated the depot’s historical significance, when it determined in 2001, that the Pine River Depot was eligible for listing on the prestigious National Register of Historic Places. This is the only property in Pine River to ever receive this designation. Restoration of a building with so much historical significance for this area will provide Pine River with a permanent, recognizable landmark and preservation of the depot can become a source of civic pride for Pine River area residents, and when shared with others traveling to, and through, the area it can help stimulate heritage tourism; that is, give people a reason to stop–it will help make Pine River a destination. Further, it can aid with economic development by demonstrating to prospective businesses and residents an example of community pride.

What better building than the historic Pine River Depot to tell the story of the greater Pine River area–the history of the depot, the railway, logging, Pine River’s main-street, area resorting and the people that made Pine River what it is today–from Indian trail through current multi-use recreational Paul Bunyan Trail!

Heritage Group North, Inc. has worked to convert the freight room into a display area and interpretive center. The interpretive center will be used to tell the story related to the history of the former railway, the depot and how they related to the history of the greater Pine River area.